IT’S SPCA WALKIES TIME AGAIN!
Hilton College is again the fabulous venue for the annual 1000 Paws Walk for SPCA, this year sponsored by the Sunday Tribune. As in previous years uMngeni SPCA, based in Howick, is joining forces with Mooi River & District SPCA and the Pietermaritzburg SPCA to put on another wonderful family day out, where your dogs are not only welcome but are the focus of the day. The 4 km walk includes spectacular scenery over the Umgeni Valley and the Albert Falls Dam. The 2 km walk caters for less active folks and dogs and is virtually level around the well-tended school sports fields.
The 1000 Paws Challenge is an obstacle course designed and built by the 1st Howick Scouts and is suitable for any and all dogs. For a small entrance fee your dog can show how agile and clever he is and win some lovely prizes. Dogs that have been adopted from any SPCA are invited to participate in the Best SPCA Special Class with great prizes on offer.
For the rest of the family there are great arena events lined up: demos by the Funda Nenja and Bruntville township dog training initiatives, an exciting Police Dog demo with Jack Haskins and his famous dog, Udain, live bands including the Caledonian Pipe Band and Durban Skydive CentreSky Divers who, if they land on your marker, will win you more stunning prizes.
Check out the many interesting stalls and then relax (with your dog) in the tea garden where sandwiches, homemade cakes and hot beverages, including homemade soup, will be available. From start to finish the Azalia Rotarians will be slaving away over a hot stove producing egg and bacon rolls, burgers and hot dogs while the Howick and Hilton Lions will be supplying the chilled liquid refreshments.
There is also an amazing Raffle doing the rounds from now until the draw at 12 noon on the 13th July at the 1000 Paws Walk. Prizes include stays for two at Pumula Beach Hotel, Lords of the Manor, Old Rearsby B&B plus many other wonderful prizes. Tickets are only R10 and can be purchased at various outlets, including the SPCAs themselves, in Pietermaritzburg, Hilton, Howick, Nottingham Road and Mooi River. You can also purchase your tickets by clicking the Donate Now button on this website. See instructions below. Bon chance!
To enter the Raffle on-line:-
- Click on the “Donate” button.
- Enter your details and the amount you want to spend.
- (NB for every R100 you spend you will get an extra ticket in the draw)
- Under “Reference” select “Raffle”
- The deadline for entering on-line is 4 pm on Friday 11th July 2014.
To enter the Raffle by EFT (not on our website):-
- Pay the amount you wish (R10 per ticket plus one for every R100 spent) to uMngeni SPCA Web Account number 62323642795, FNB, Howick, Branch Code 220725, Your name and “Raffle” as reference.
- Email proof of payment and your name and contact details to firstname.lastname@example.org for attention Leigh Kotze, so your tickets can be allocated to you and we can call you when you win a prize in the draw.
- The deadline for entering the Raffle electronically is 4 pm on Friday 11th July 2014.
The draw is at 12 noon on Sunday 13th July 2014 at the 1000 Paws Walk, Hilton College. You will be contacted if you win one of the great prizes. Thanks for your support and good luck.
Sunday 13th July will be the greatest fun day for the whole family, from babies in pushchairs to auntie, grandpa and great-granny and, for once, including the canine members of the family. Bring them all along for a great family outing in the grounds of lovely Hilton College. Your support will help animals in need across the KZN Midlands, as the 1000 Paws Walk is the main fundraiser for the three SPCA branches covering this area.